Can rabbits eat french fries?

Can Rabbits Eat French Fries?

Share the love of Rabbits!

Rabbits can eat several fresh fruits and vegetables, usually thought of as food for humans. Although french fries are technically made of potatoes, a rabbit should never eat french fries. Eating French fries could be extremely dangerous for your rabbit and potentially poison your pet.

Can Rabbits eat French Fries Video

Always avoid giving your rabbit French fries or any other type of fast food. Not only is the food dangerous for your rabbit, but the oils used to fry and cook the fast food could be toxic. Rabbits have an extremely sensitive digestive system, and French fries could prove potentially fatal, upsetting the delicate balance a rabbit needs to survive and remain healthy.

What Are Other Dangerous Foods For Rabbits?

Although relatively healthy and robust, rabbits have a sensitive digestive tract. A rabbit needs a well-balanced diet that blends plenty of hay and grass with green leafy vegetables and some pellets, fruit, and treats.

While rabbits have a long list of beneficial and safe foods, several foods can be potentially dangerous if ingested. Some harmful foods that should never be fed to rabbits include:

  • Beet Greens
  • Beans
  • Cabbage
  • Iceberg Lettuce
  • Mustard Greens
  • Peas
  • Seeds
  • Turnip Greens

What Are Signs My Rabbit Has Been Poisoned?

Can rabbits eat French fries?
Rabbit health can decline quickly if poisoned.

If your rabbit has accidentally ingested unsafe foods, owners must keep a close eye on their pet. Rabbits are small animals, and even the smallest amount of poisonous compounds can cause your rabbit to decline in health very quickly. Some key signs and symptoms that your rabbit might be experiencing trouble with a poisonous or toxic food include:

  • Abdomen – The rabbit’s belly may be tender to the touch. You may notice your rabbit’s stomach is swollen or distended.
  • Behavior – Your rabbit might have different behavior patterns, appearing lethargic and depressed or antsy and restless.
  • Digestive Distress – A rabbit that has been poisoned will experience digestive issues like diarrhea and vomiting. Your rabbit’s digestive tract will try to expel the poisonous toxins as quickly as possible. The intestines may also be inflamed.
  • Reduced Appetite – If your rabbit is feeling unwell, it may refuse to eat or eat very little food. Keep a close eye on how much your rabbit is consuming every day.
  • Physical Ailment – Your rabbit may display physical signs of poisoning. Your rabbit may have seizures or experience twitching, have difficulty walking, or may experience stiffness in its limbs. Certain poisons can cause your rabbit to bleed both internally and externally.

What Should I Do To Treat a Sick Rabbit?

If you suspect that your rabbit has been poisoned, time is of the essence. A small rabbit can metabolize poison quickly, spreading it throughout the body. Be sure to contact your veterinarian for an emergency appointment for your rabbit. If you cannot reach your veterinarian, the ASPCA poison center or the Pet Poison Helpline can advise administering medical treatment until your veterinarian can help.

If caught quickly enough, it may be possible to help treat a poisoned rabbit. Some of the most common ways a veterinarian can eliminate poison from your rabbit’s system include:

  • Charcoal can bind to different toxins in the stomach, trapping them before they become dangerous.
  • Artificial respiration can help your rabbit breathe as the poison leaves the body.
  • Maintain body temperature to keep your rabbit’s vital organs functioning correctly.
  • Pain management medication to help your rabbit process the poison pain-free.
  • Blood transfusions can eliminate poisons from the body, especially toxins with rodent poison components.
  • Rehydration can help put moisture and hydration back into your rabbit’s body, maintaining organ health while poisoned is processed.
  • Assisted feeding can keep vital vitamins and minerals in your rabbit’s system.

The particular treatment recommended for your rabbit will depend on how severe the poison compound is and how sick your rabbit appears. Your rabbit’s age, health, and underlying medical conditions will also impact the possible emergency treatment options and the order of treatments a veterinarian might use.

What Is a Healthy Diet For Rabbits?

A rabbit must maintain a healthy and balanced diet to promote ongoing optimum health. The majority of your rabbit’s diet should include hay and grass. While fresh hay and grass are preferred, dried hay and grass can provide just as many nutrients for your rabbit. Your pet should have unlimited access to hay and grass, and ultimately, this food should make up about 75% of your rabbit’s diet.

Further, your rabbit should enjoy leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, and broccoli. About 15% of your rabbit’s diet should include vegetables. Be sure to use organic vegetables for your rabbit, and carefully wash any vegetables purchased from the grocery store. Avoid using pale-colored lettuce and vegetables like iceberg lettuce. This vegetable is too high in moisture and doesn’t provide enough vitamins and minerals.

Lastly, give your rabbit high-quality rabbit pellets and fruit. About 5% of your rabbit’s diet should come from fruit and pellets. Both pellets and fruit are high in carbohydrates and sugars, which could be dangerous for your rabbit in large quantities. Try to limit fruit to one servicing, about the size of your rabbit’s paw, once per day. Although commercially available treats are available at the pet store, try to avoid these at all costs. Not only are these treats extremely sugary, but they are often high in carbohydrates which could upset your rabbit’s digestive tract.

Can Rabbits Eat Potatoes?

Starch can upset your rabbit's digestive tract.
Potatoes (see also ‘Can Rabbits Eat Potatoes?‘) are not healthy for your rabbit to eat.

Although potatoes are a fresh vegetable with some nutritional value, this vegetable should be avoided if possible. A rabbit will not necessarily die from a potato. Still, the high starch content and carbohydrates can cause long-term damage to your rabbit’s digestive system if eaten over a long period.

In addition to potatoes, it is essential to avoid any starchy vegetable for your rabbit to keep it as healthy as possible. Some bad vegetables rabbit owners should avoid feeding their rabbit include:

  • Rhubarb – The incredibly high starch content of rhubarb is hazardous for a rabbit. If eaten raw, rhubarb could cause fatal poisoning for your rabbit.
  • Carrots – Although comics constantly depict rabbits gnawing on carrots, this vegetable contains high levels of starch which can be dangerous for your pet rabbit.
  • Cauliflower – Although the crunchy vegetable may seem perfect for your rabbit, this vegetable can cause bloat in rabbits, disrupting the delicate digestive tract.

Final Thoughts

Feeding your rabbit a healthy balance of hay, vegetables, and fruit is the ideal way to keep your rabbit healthy and happy. Never feed your rabbit french fries. Not only are starchy vegetables like potatoes dangerous for a rabbit, but the oil used to fry french fries could be toxic for your rabbit. If your rabbit accidentally eats a french fry, carefully monitor your rabbit for signs of toxic poisoning. Seek immediate medical attention if necessary from your veterinarian to administer fast treatment. If caught early enough, it is possible to save a rabbit that has been poisoned.

Share the love of Rabbits!